Sunday, September 13, 2009

a possible solution to that pesky spot where grass just won't grow?

So every gardener has that one spot in their yard where they just have a terrible time trying to get anything to grow. Whether its too much sun, terrible soil, or too much shade, there may be a solution. I have a section of my house that is deeply covered by both sugar maples and silver maples. Not only do they zap the soil of moisture due to their root structure, they also block out most sunlight thus preventing grass to grow. Last fall, I started to combat this by expanding a flowerbed with shade loving plants. I tried re-seeding in the fall, but a few weeks ago, heavy rain washed away the grass.

I need to look somewhere new. My attention turned to mondo grass. Dwarf Mondo grass to be more accurate. The stuff looks like real grass, grows in the shade, and never needs to be mowed. Lets see if it can do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment