Friday, March 6, 2009

The outdoor adventure begins

I've always been a fan of the outdoors, growing up I would rather be outside running through the corn fields or having a catch. The best part about it all was that my family encouraged this. My father always had a wonderful garden and though he never entered his vegetables in the county fair, we always thought they were the largest and best tomatoes in New Jersey.

When I finally purchased my house in 2007, I had the opportunity to plant my own garden and continue the tradition. While my flowers came in great for 2007, the vegetables did not have enough time/light so they did not fare as well. Moving forward to last year, I was able put in more flowers, but still had to delay my vegetable garden because I has painted my house in the spring. All of my efforts actually paid off when I was recognized last year when I won the Project Pride Award in my town for having one of the most improved/beautiful landscapes in town. I did not realize how big of a deal this was until my neighbors started telling me more about it, etc. I was truly honored(and will be posting photos soon).

Fast forward to 2009, I was thinking of what a great way to keep track of my gardening process for all to see than to create a blog. Further, now that Spring is just around the corner, its now or never. Not to mention, this could be a great discourse for someone who is looking to get into gardening or has a pointer or two to share. The great thing is, you can garden in your apartment, classroom, or office, you just need to know how much light a window gets or a plant needs.

Last weekend I started my Jersey Tomatoes from seed. I like growing my plants from seed because I have a good idea where they came from and I save so much money that way! They're also great to give to friends and family. I'm just getting some sprouts, but check out this video if you have never tried planting from seed before:

No comments:

Post a Comment